The Phaneuf Family Foundation launched in fall 2019 to provide funds for New Hampshire and Vermont residents who can’t afford the full cost of a funeral. After two full years of the foundation’s operation, here are some performance highlights:
- In 2020, the foundation was able to grant 41% of the requests it received; in 2021, 71% of requests were fulfilled—an increase of 73%
- The number of requests for grants grew from 46 in 2020 to 55 in 2021, an increase of 20%
- In 2020, 19 requests were granted, totaling just over $5,000; last year, we increased that by 105% and were able to fulfill 39 requests, totaling almost $17,000
- The average grant in 2020 was $264. That grew by 63% last year to $429 (the maximum allowed grant is $1,000)
These statistics point to two things: a growing awareness of the foundation’s mission and a growing need for funeral funds for NH families. The future of the foundation depends on an expanded awareness of its mission and amplified donations to grant the burgeoning number of requests.
The foundation’s motto is, “Everyone deserves a dignified farewell.”
How the foundation works
Financial assistance has long been available through city, town and state welfare departments to New Hampshire and Vermont families who cannot afford the total cost of a cremation or funeral service. Welfare departments will typically pay an average of $750, and the cheapest service at funeral homes in New Hampshire averages $1,000, meaning that families still need more money.
Donations made to the foundation cover a range of costs, from a transportation fee for a service to a complete cremation, for deceased residents of New Hampshire and Vermont
Requests for distributions for a cremation or funeral may be made by a family member, friend, funeral director, social worker, hospice or nursing home employee or other interested party.
Your support provides dignified farewells
The average distribution to a family is $429 and every dollar you donate greatly aids the mission.
Here’s how you can help:
- Donate online
- Mail a check to: Phaneuf Family Foundation, 243 Hanover St., Manchester, NH 03104
- You may also assign any unused prepaid funeral funds to the Foundation (instead of putting them in probate)
The Phaneuf Family Foundation also awarded scholarships to future funeral professionals. The award went to Nicole Judge of Peterborough in 2020, and Jennifer Roberts of Concord in 2021.
“Jennifer has the right demeanor to help families through the hardest time in their lives. We’re proud to help her toward her career as an end-of-life professional,” said Arthur O. “Buddy” Phaneuf, president of Phaneuf Funeral Homes and Crematorium. Phaneuf also serves as a trustee and chairman of the board of the foundation. “It’s essential to support the next generation of funeral directors.”
Questions? Email the foundation at or call (603) 625-5778.
Preplanning your final arrangements ensures that your family understands your final wishes and alleviates a great deal of stress.
Leave a Comment